newbie network question..

Toby Schaefer toby-list at mail.nixa.k12.mo.us
Fri May 7 16:41:23 UTC 2004

-|-----Original Message-----
-|From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-
-|bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Ed Wilts
-|Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 9:57 AM
-|To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
-|Subject: Re: newbie network question..
-|
-|On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 07:05:29AM -0700, Devidas Komarath Menon wrote:
-|> Excuse me if this is a stupid one...
-|
-|It's not stupid but you show a remarkable inability or unwillingness
-|to do any research - and then post this from a Cisco.com address!  I
-|expect that there are a few people working for Cisco that have Linux
-|routing experience...
-|
-|A google search for "linux router" will lead to 2 million hits.  A
-|search on redhat.com in the documentation section will also lead to
-|multiple hits.
-|
-|You could also have searched the redhat-list archives (the link is in
-|every posting to this list) for the word "router" and you would have
-|gotten nearly 500 hits.
-|
-|> If so, can't we make that BOX act as a router? Can the same box
-|> forward packets to another network? What are the config changes to
-|> be made and the commmand ?
-|
-|Please do some simple searching, try a few things, and then feel free
-|to ask specific questions if something doesn't work.  Tell us what
-|you've tried and what didn't happen as you expected it to.
-|
-|--
-|Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
-|mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org
-|Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

Granted I've just jumped into this thread reading this last message, but I
couldn't pass up on the irony that this message offers.

Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program <-- Ed, the size of the
flame coming out of that email won't win hearts at the dance. :)

I've been a member of the list for some time now, and I've seen some stupid
questions, but I never expected you of all people to take the time to fry
someone for asking a, granted unresearched and well documented, question!

I've lost my redhat-list innocence. *sniff*

Have a great weekend all,

Toby