pdf files are not opening in Mozilla web browser

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri May 7 17:06:04 UTC 2004

Hi,
You should reply to the list as lots of others can help. Also, please post
replies to end of message to make it more cohesive to read.
Pete
(see below)

On May 7, 2004 09:42 am, you wrote:
> Thanks for you reply.. Well i am using Redhat Enterprise Linux WS 3.0.
> Also I don 't get any error message, Its like blank page. I am able to
> open any saved file on disk usin xpdf or ggv.
>
> On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 12:23, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> > On May 7, 2004 07:43 am, Vivek Kumar wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Whenever I try to open any pdf file in the Mozilla browser, I see the
> > > message done at the bottom but no pdf file gets open in the browser. I
> > > can see the url and it says xxxxx.pdf there. Is there any setting which
> > > I can change to make this happen.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Vivek
> >
> > Just to confirm what is going on, you should d/l the pdf and see if
> > Acrobat works properly on a local file. You can open it with GostView,
> > but I don't know about5 a pluggin that way.
> >
> > Anyway, my point is that depending on your RH version (should always
> > state that in post) there may be a locale setting issue effecting
> > Acrobat, which you only see when opening into the app, not as a pluggin.
> > If you get an error like:
> > "Warning : charset "UTF-8" not supported,using "ISO8859-1"
> > then search this list (I use
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=redhat-list&r=1&w=2 ) for "acrobat
> > reader". It has been covered previously in this list.

Look at the plugins (inurl box enter "about:plugins". If nothing shows up you
may want to grab Acrobat, although I don't know why it does not offer to
download it. If Acrobat shows up as the viewer for PDF's in the plugin list,
then it should be on your system (/usr/local/Acrobat ?), in which case try
opening the pdf with it and look for errors.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce