RHEL3 - port re-direct problems

Robert C Paulsen Jr robert at paulsenonline.net
Sun May 9 12:05:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 06:48, Kevin Passey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to redirect requests on port 80 to 8080 (using tomcat)
>
> I have set up a file in xinetd.d that looks like this:-
>
> service tomcat
> {
>     socket_type    = stream
>     protocol = tcp
>     user   = root
>     wait = no
>     port = 80
>     redirect = localhost 8080
>     disable = no
> }
>
> Now this works in RHEL2 but not in 3 any ideas??

See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=tomcat+redirect++port&btnG=Google+Search

Also, I don't think you want to run tomcat from xinetd (or inetd). One
of the reasons for using tomcat is to avoid having to start a whole new
process with a whole new JVM for each request (but I don't know your
situation so for you it might be quite reasonable).