Recommended UPS for Linux

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu May 13 02:38:24 UTC 2004

On May 12, 2004 07:25 pm, Ryan Golhar wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good UPS for Linux desktops?  I have two desktops
> that are LDAP/NFS servers.  I want to put them on a UPS for automatic
> shutdown if the power is out for a period of time.
>
> I read the UPS HOW-TO on tldp.org.  I was wondering what others are
> using and if anyone has any preferences on manufacturer and models.  I
> really need about maybe 10-20 minutes before automatic shut-down.  I
> think I would like a USB model in order to monitor the battery
> condition.  Can anyone make any recommendations?
>
> Ryan

Hi Ryan,
There was a thread from early february "Belkin Regulator Pro UPS" you may want
to search on, but the bottom line output from that one was Don't Buy Belkin.
I have been using an APC Backups 500 for a couple years or more. It does
basic shutdown etc.

I don't think you could go wrong with a APC BackUPS or BackUPS-PRO (or
whatever there current similar model is) but if you want to run 2 pc's and
possibly 2 monitors for 10-20 minutes off one UPS, it will need to be big (ie
expensive) so you might be better off with 2 smaller ones. With just one pc
and monitor, If I try and turn on my crt monitor while on UPS power, the
surge can drain it. If it is already on or if I leave the monitor off it is
fine. I have the APC ssd shutdown software kick in after 10 minutes but
around here it is more brownouts and spikes that effect the power.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce