GRUB removed from MBR

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu May 13 11:30:32 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 13, Rudolf Ladyzhenskii did say:

> Hi,
>
> Boot from RedHat CD, then go into rescue mode.
>
> This will mount your existing file sysetm. Go inti existing file sysetm
> and and find '/sbin/grub-install' (path is relative to the mount point of
> your original file system.
>
> You may have to specify the device (/dev/hda), read in the GRUB manual.
>
> Rudolf

Your instructions sound right Rudolf, But you seam to have missed a key
.. ^_^^^^^_^^^^_^^^_???_^^^^^^^^^^^^_^^^__________________________________
>> is not working.

I don't have a clue how Koushik installed without them. Possibly he
borrowed somebody else's CDs, or maybe he put them away someplace and
can't find them. So unless someone can suggest a better solution I think
he needs to use his windows to download RH9 iso images from someplace,
burn them, and THEN follow your suggestion.

I'm not sure if RH9 is even officially available for downloading (I
actually bought my RH9 CD at staples in mid 2003.) But I just did a quick
google search for:

"redhat 9" + iso

and followed the 1st link that didn't specify that: "RedHat 9 available to
RedHat Network subscribers now, but it won't be freely downloadable ... "
which in turn quickly led me to a site that was listing iso's for downloading:

http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/RedHat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/

If there is a better site for this would someone please correct me?

I don't know what "antivirus software restored the MBR after installation"
But I remember when I used to run Norton on my win98, the 1st windows
boot after a lilo update always got me a warning that  the mbr had
changes and asked me to decide if I had done something to cause it.
it offered me some choices.

One was to restore the original mbr [ eeeeeent wrong choice will destroy
grub or lilo.] Another was to update the Norton's mbr image to match the
new mbr. [ ding  good choice! Now next time this happens, if I'm
sleeping on the switch, Norton would actually restore a mbr that included
lilo (or grub)

Koushik, if your antivirus doesn't let you do what I just described You
may need to disable boot time mbr scanning before you reinstall grub.
Read your anti virus docs! ;)

--
|   ---   ___
|   <0>   <->	   Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|	^		J(tWdy)P
|    ~\___/~	     <<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>

But if I actually knew everything, then I'd know I was an idiot...