latex using mathtime, dvips failed: mtsyn.pfb not found

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu May 13 12:55:01 UTC 2004

Hello,
I am trying to use Times and mathtime font in my latex file instead of the
default Computer modern font. It seems to me that Redhat has those times font
included with the distro. I've tried this in both Redhat 7.3 and RHEL 3 and
both failed with the same thing. Here is the simple tex file:

helloworld.tex:
-------------------------
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{mathtime}
\begin{document}

Hello World

\begin{equation}
F = ma
\end{equation}

\end{document}
-------------------------------

latex runs OK and creates a .dvi files, but dvips complains that it cannot
find mtsyn.pfb file:

$> dvips helloworld.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2004.05.13:0840' -> |lpr
<texc.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro>. <mtsyn.pfb>This is DVIPS, t1part module
mtsyn.pfb: No such file or directory

What should I do to make this work? I also have a commercial MathTime(tm) 1.1
font from Y & Y, inc floppy disk (someone in the group bought it when we were
still running SGI), and even there there's no mtsyn.pfb. I sort of look at
the files in the floppy and it seems that Redhat already have what I need to
use Times and MathTime font.

I've played around and google and search the archive the whole afternoon
yesterday and it has not been very helpful either.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. I just think it's funny if
Redhat include the font but I can't use it to print, since I have to run
dvips to print a dvi file.

Thanks in advance.
Reuben D. Budiardja
--