httpd dead but subsys locked

Nitin nitinmehta at kappa.net.in
Fri May 14 07:50:26 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm facing this new problem.
Everything was working OK, suddenly, https got killed and now, when I start it, it displays OK. But nothing actually happens, no processes started. When I check the status, it displays "httpd dead but subsys locked." and surprisingly all websites (hosted on that server) are working fine.

I cann't take chances to reboot the server.
I've checked, there are no pid files and mesage file doesn't display any errors either.... where or what else should I check?

Please help me as soon as possible

Thanks again
Nitin