Redhat IMAP server closed connecton to Outlook IMAP client

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Fri May 14 14:09:48 UTC 2004

Hi,
One of my user uses MS Outlook as IMAP client, connecting to my IMAP server.
We're having this problem that I have verified by trying the outlook myself.
I've never used outlook before and this problem does not happen, as far as I
can tell, with my other IMAP client.

When I left the MS Outlook idle for a while, it will then display this
message:
"Your IMAP server has closed the connection. This may happen if you have left
the connection idle for too long." Then when I click "details", it says
something like "Lost mailbox lock".

I tried the same MS Outlook  to connect to another IMAP server that I have
account in (but the server is not mine) and left it idle overnight and the
problem does not happen. My user also says that this does not happen with
other IMAP account that he has.

So I am suspicious that there's something in my IMAP server configuration that
cause this. The IMAP server is RHEL 3, running the stock IMAP package, and I
didn't change any configuration. Basically all I did it changed "disabled =
no" in /etc/xinetd.d/imaps (we're running IMAP over SSL).

Any help in resolving this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja