Kernel RPM install incomplete

Elmer E. Dow elmeredow at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 14:36:10 UTC 2004

RedHat Customization Guide indicates in section 30.5 and 30.6 that
installing the kernel rpm package should make the initrd file and put a new
entry in GRUB. The fact that it should but didn't makes me wonder what else
is wrong.

Elmer

--
> Mike Burger

> Hello,
> initrd is not part of the kernel rpm, do
> man mkinitrd to find out how to make the correct initrd.
> hth
> Willem
>
> On Thu, 13 May 2004, Elmer E. Dow wrote:
>
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I'm a real newbie running RH9 and WinXP Pro on an IBM R40 laptop. A
friend at a LUG meeting helped me to download and install updates using YUM.
I discovered later that the kernel RPM didn't install completely.
Initrd-x.x.xx-xx.x.img is missing from the boot folder and there's no new
entry for it in GRUB. (I want to be able to boot both the old and new
kernels just in case the new one has a problem.) There might be other
problems, too, though I don't know how to discover them.

> > Should I do an rpm -e and erase the package, then do an rpm -ivh to
reinstall? Would simply doing an rpm -ivh without first erasing the package
complete the job? Or should I do a mkinitrd command and then manually edit
the new kernel info to GRUB?

> > Since this is a kernel package, I'm paranoid that I'm going to do
something stupid and render this thing inoperable.