RH9 2.4.22 kernel source install trouble

Henry Axelrod AxelrodH at emigrant.com
Fri May 14 15:49:23 UTC 2004

Instead of doing the install from the GUI. Try this:
Open a terminal window and type
rpm -ivh <package>

where <package> is the full name of the kernel source rpm

You should then be able to see more details about the error. Most
likely you are missing a dependancy such as GCC.

Henry Axelrod
Emigrant Savings Bank
Senior Microsoft Systems Engineer
(212) 850-4107

>>> oyemois at yahoo.com 5/14/2004 11:34:49 AM >>>
Hello,

I'm in the Newbie. I have a fresh install of Fedora
2.4.22

I need to install the kernel sources for 2.4.22.
Unfortunately, I was unable install the kernel
sources. I checked the /usr/src/redhat and there were
some empty directories in it and figured I did not
have the source.

I have the three disks and the MD5 checksums matched
the Red Hat web site.

I went to System Settings -> Add/Remove Applications

I scrolled down to Development and checked Kernel
Development.

I then put in disk three when I was prompted. I got a
an error:

"Error installing packages - there was an error
installing packages - quitting"

Sorry, that's all I know about the error. What could
this be?

I am on a Dell laptop with the workstation setup on a
6 GB drive 128K.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential
and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only.
Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the
contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in
reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an
addressee, please inform the sender immediately, then delete this
message and empty from your trash.