RHCE and OS discs?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri May 14 17:07:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:07:15AM -0700, p p wrote:
> Hi, Im going to be going for the RHCE exam later this summer. Ive got a
> book, but was wondering what level of the enterprise discs I'll need. Im
> assuming Id need more than the workstation version. Would the rebuilds be
> good enough, or are they too different from the RedHat versions?  Thanks to
> anyone that can help.

Based on the study guides, the rebuilds should be good enough.  However,
you should be able to go with Red Hat Professional Workstation and then
just add the few missing pieces from there.  You've got the srpms
online for things like bind and vsftpd.  If you can't rebuild the srpms
and install them, you probably wouldn't be able to pass the RHCE anyway
:-).    There aren't many pieces that are missing that you might need -
I think that bind and vsftpd are the biggest.  Things like the ldap
server don't appear to be required.

I did a combination.  I've been running RHPW since last fall (September)
and learned most of what needed updating from that.  That's my
production server.  I then purchased a Dell PE400 to play on and beat
silly with multiple installs, intentional breakage, etc.  On this guy, I
used a RHEL ES RHN subscription from my office (the system it was bought
for in the office wasn't upgraded to RHEL yet).

Next week I'll be doing the course and exam. I'll find out then if my
strategy was successful or not...

The missing pieces, according to Red Hat's web site, are:

amanda-server, arptables_jf, bind, caching-nameserver, dhcp, freeradius,
inews, inn, krb5-server, netdump-server, openldap-servers, pxe, quagga,
radvd, rarpd, redhat-config-bind, redhat-config-netboot, tftp-server,
tux, vsftpd, ypserv

Of those, most don't appear to be required.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org