alsa-dev faild to build at boot time with latest RHEL WS 3 krenel

Robert C Paulsen Jr robert at paulsenonline.net
Fri May 14 22:47:08 UTC 2004

I just went to a new kernel (kernel-2.4.21-15.EL.i686.rpm and
kernel-source-2.4.21-15.EL.i386.rpm) via up2date.

It all appeared to install OK, but upon reboot dkms tried to rebuild the
alsa driver and failed. There were a series of periods across the screen
as it built that ended with a comment saying something like exit code 7
and another saying exit code 4. I don't remember the exact wording but
the 7 and 4 I'm pretty sure of.

dkms was able to build a new nvidia driver with no problem.

Looks like all the alsa stuf is provided by Dell, not RedHat:

# rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-utils-0.9.6-1.0dell
dell-alsa-driver-0.9.0rc6-2dkms
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-1dell
alsa-lib-0.9.6-1.0dell
#

Anythng I can do to make this work? I'd like to go to the new kernel as
it has many fixes and significant performance enhancements for scsi.

Thanks
--
Bob