mod_perl error: Can't locate object method "boot"

Gunnar Hjalmarsson noreply at gunnar.cc
Fri May 14 23:32:24 UTC 2004

Hi,

My first posting to this list, so please bear with me...

I have access to a RedHat Fedora based so called "virtual server".
Since Apache is installed via RPM, I installed the mod_perl RPM
distribution from the Fedora download server using Webmin. The
installation passed without error messages, but running a simple
"Hello World" script resulted in "Internal Server Error" and this
complaint in the error log:

failed to resolve handler `ModPerl::Registry'
Can't locate object method "boot" via package "mod_perl" at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/Log.pm
line 6.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm
line 21.

This is line 6 in Apache/Log.pm:

     __PACKAGE__->mod_perl::boot($VERSION);

I *can* make the script run if I comment out that line (or rename the
mentioned Apache/Log.pm file), but I have a strong feeling that such a
'fix' may be an inappropriate way to deal with the problem.

By 'Googling' for "Can't locate object method "boot"", I saw that
others have had similar problems before me, but I did not find a
solution that way.

I don't know how to proceed. Any help that points me in the right
direction would be much appreciated.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson