find inode

Ken Gillett ken at ukgb.net
Sat May 15 12:38:12 UTC 2004

I know I asked this before, but I'm still looking for a superior
solution.

I want to be able to find files/directories by their inode number. I
know I can use 'find -inum' but this is excruciatingly slow at first.
Repeated 'find's are quicker so it must cache the data, but initially
it is very slow. I guess it must be simply doing a file by file scan
until it matches the number, which is way slower than 'find'ing by
name.

  I need to find the actual path from the inode number, can anyone
suggest a faster way of doing it?

Ken  G i l l e t t