Failed to bring up eth0

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sun May 16 15:01:57 UTC 2004

On May 16, 2004 06:22 am, Dinh Tien Tuan Anh wrote:
>    It worked yesterday, but this morning when booting up, it failed to
> bring up eth0 (Determining IP to eth0 ... failed). I thought that the
> network's down, but it's still working in WindowXP(though pretty slow). So
> what's the problem here and how to deal with this ? I'm using RedHat 9, and
> using DHCP to get IP address.
> Thanks a lot.

> Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger
> http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

It certainly sounds like a dhcp problem.
You didn't describe your network or where the dhcp server is or how you
connect to the internet (NAT?).

Presuming your running both boxes with external IP's via and ISP dhcp server,
you could try:
-power cycle the cable/dsl/whatever modem.
- run "service network restart"

It is likely that it was just a temporary ISP/network problem.

If the above fails, and the other box can renew it's IP, then try a static IP
(you may need to 'borrow' one that is in your external range'), set the
network info like on the other box, and see if it works. However, it sounds
like a temporary problem and hopefully all that won't be necessary.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce