Disk thrashing, Please HELP!

Rosina Bignall rbignall at earthlink.net
Mon May 17 00:56:34 UTC 2004

Okay, I've done some more messing around and here's an update of
what happened:  I stopped some of the services, just to see what
would happen, and wa-la, when I stopped the syslogd, the
thrashing stopped.  Restarting syslogd did not cause the
thrashing to resume.  When I stopped syslogd, it allowed
python2.2 to jump up and start taking all the CPU time, so I
killed that process and now no more thrashing and no other
problems.

After a while, something started python2.2 again, while it didn't
start the disk thrashing again, it did eat up CPU time.  I again
killed it and since nothing else stopped running or had any other
problems, I'm not sure what's starting python or causing it to
act like that. I expect to see this again after a reboot (since
rebooting did not stop the problem before), so I still need to
figure out how this is happening and how I can resolve it.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Rosina

--