Using USB on Dell Computer, RedHat 8.0

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 04:31:13 UTC 2004

I am using 128 MB Cool Disk. I am not sure is it USB
2.0 or earlier. But I can easily use it on Win98 with
a driver. I think, it also works on Win XP etc.

My own computer is DELL. I am runing Linux RedHat 8.0.
I am trying to use the USB drive on that. On Intel
Computers with Redhat 8.0, the drivers are
automatically loaded and I just mount the usb and use
it. But on the Dell computer the drivers are not being
automatically loaded.

So, I loaded the following modules.
usbcore.o
uhci.o or usb-ohci.o  (Tried both).

Then I try to mount it as /dev/sda1. But it gives an
error "Not a valid block device".

I wonder, why is Dell computer accepting it?

bye.
shiraz