mySQL rpms

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Wed May 19 14:41:54 UTC 2004

http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2004-January/msg00362.html

> I checked on mysql.com and they have version 4.0.20, but RedHat has
> 3.23.58-1.9.  What such a lag?

The licensing changed between MySQL 3 and 4.  MySQL 4 now has a
split-license scheme, requiring a commercial license for any commercial
use of their database.  Version 3 has no such restriction.  You're
unlikely to ever see mysql-server-4.x distributed with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, unless this changes.  Besides, Red Hat prefers
PostgreSQL.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting