Suggestion Needed abt DNS Entries

Harry hari76 at omantel.net.om
Fri May 21 14:27:52 UTC 2004

Hi All,
I am running Fedora server with Ip tables and Masquerade in my network, I am also using squid proxy in transparent mode for all HTTP requests to go thru the server,All is working well,but I just have some doubts and I need your valuable suggestion on this.

The Gateway of all my Windows Clients is the IP Address of the Linux Server.The DNS entries on the Windows Machines is the DNS address of my ISP.My problem is that when I use the DNS address as the Ip address of my Linux Box,I cant get thru many internet sites as well as Yahoo IM.
I have read all the documentation abt Ip Masquerade but no where is this point very clearly mentioned.

The point is why would I want to do this?Simply Bcos I see tooo many DNS requests coming to my console as the Windows clients are directly trying to communicate with the DNS servers.

I have also enabled a forwarders entry for my DNS servers at /var/named.
I have enabled DNS servers in squid.conf.
I have the same DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf.
Lastly in my nsswitch.conf I have it as DNS.FILES.

After doing all this I still cant get my clients to work without the DNS entries or with the DNS enty of the LINUX Box.Is there a way out?Is there something I am missing?Your valuable suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Harry