Bind ip alias

Mark Lowe mark.lowe at boxstuff.com
Mon May 24 09:33:05 UTC 2004

Sure.

But when its an external query I of course need the domain to be
resolved to the external ip. I think that Steve's configuartion example
seems to address this.

external dns query > resolves to external ip > now the request is
forwarded/routed to ip alias.

This problem is almost certainly a function of my lack of dns
knowledge, but steve's example as given be an idea of how this needs to
be achieved a set of internal and external records).

Cheers

Mark

On 24 May 2004, at 11:13, Mike Burger wrote:

> Why would you assume that?  You set up your zone file so that
> www.hosteddomain.com gives you the "aliased" ip...dns lookups, at least
> internally, are always going to give you what's actually in your zone
> file.
>
> On Sun, 23 May 2004, Mark Lowe wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason
>>
>> I see what you're saying with the apache configuration but I'm sure
>> bind isn't setup up right as when I ping www.hosteddomain.com. from
>> another machine it returns the ip alias ip
>>
>> ping www.hosteddomain.com
>> PING www.hosteddomain.com (10.0.0.10): 56 data bytes
>> 64 bytes from 10.0.0.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.259 ms
>> 64 bytes from 10.0.0.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.242 ms
>> 64 bytes from 10.0.0.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.259 ms
>>
>> And so on..
>>
>> I assume that I should get the external ip if things are setup right.
>>
>> On 23 May 2004, at 21:41, Jason Staudenmayer wrote:
>>
>>> I think what your after has nothing to do with bind. Look at apache
>>> redir
>>> and virtual hosting.
>>> If you only have one outside address and want multiple domains on
>>> that
>>> 1
>>> address that's the way to go.
>>> The only catch is you MUST use the FQDN and not the IP.

>>> www.hosteddomain.com. IN     A       10.0.0.10
>>> ftp.hosteddomain.com. 	IN     A       10.0.0.10
>>> mail.hosteddomain.com 	IN	A	10.0.0.10