temporarily disabling GUI login

Paul Greene techlists at comcast.net
Mon May 24 19:19:57 UTC 2004

I've installed VMWare on a Win2K box at home, and Fedora Core 2 in a
virtual machine. When trying to install VMWare tools into the Linux
virtual machine, the install script fails because the tools config
script must be run outside of an X window session.

Doing a CTRL-ALT-backspace to shut down X windows just drops me back
into another GUI window. I haven't been able to figure out how to
temporarily disable a GUI login. I'm sure it's fairly easy, but can't
figure out how to do it.

Help?

PG