BIND issues with rndc

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Wed May 26 00:26:26 UTC 2004

Milver S. Nisay wrote:
>> I did this and also tried this and it didn't (it was actually already
>> there). I removed the redhat-config-bind package as I was not using
>> it and it complicated things (by needing me to use the named.custom
>> file). I have since removed it. I've hacked my zone files now so
>> I'll be rebuiding them this weekend. I'll give it another try...
>>
> i have the same problem now even removing those control lines...
> stopping the named service will fail but starting it is  successful.
> but with my other box with the same version, no problem. it's weird.
> anyone?
> //milver

I could be having a memory lapse here, but I seem to remember the problem
you describe was logged into bugzilla awhile back. If I remember correctly
(i haven't looked at bugzilla), the solution was a kernel upgrade.

FWIW: With regards to rndc, I run RH9 at this end and have the following
entries in my named.conf file. Note: I run named in a chroot'd jail.

---- cut/paste from /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf ----
include "/etc/rndc.key";

controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
        allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
};

# cat /var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key
key "rndc-key" {
        algorithm hmac-md5;