network time settings - was Re: Decrypt Passwords

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed May 26 08:29:36 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 5:20 pm, Jake Johnson wrote:
> That is funny.  Try using rdate to set the date using a time server.

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to look at something like this (amongst the gazillion other
jobs) and I'd like people's opinions.

I've looked at NTP and rdate and was wondering

a) which people thought was best (NTP's supposed to be more accurate I
believe),

b) if anyone knows of good public servers that I can use as a root, and

c) if using NTP how to I use it. (using rdate I would probably just put 'rdate
-s <server>' as a cron job)

I've already got my M$ boxes syncing to one of my Samba boxes using the 'net
time', but I want to make sure that box's dates set right first.

I also want to set up so my other unixen sync to this box too.

[snip]

--
Gary Stainburn