emachine T2742 and linux

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Wed May 26 21:29:41 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 03:19 pm, Earl Eiland wrote:
> I can't comment on the built in graphics, but I believe if Linux detects
> an add on video card it will disable the built in graphics.  At least
> that's what happened on my 866MHz Dell.

Usually you can disable the built-in graphic card if you add your own graphic
card to the motherboard. Then Kudzu will detect your graphic card, since the
built-in one is disabled.
Sometime you have to reboot linux so that kudzu detects your graphic card.
This is what happens to mine anyway, I disable the built in card (it has
trouble with the XFree86 shipped with RH 7.3) and used a graphic card that I
installed my self.

In anycase, you should be able to use your own card. The easiest thing to know
which card is used by the motherboard is, when it boots the first time, if
your monitor is plugged in to your own card and it can display the BIOS
stuff, then it's correct. If not, then plug in your monitor to the built-in
card, change the BIOS setting, un-plug the monitor and plug back in to your
own card, and reboot.

HTH
RDB

--