Opinions of Kerberos/LDAP

Norman Elton wnelto at net.wm.edu
Thu May 27 14:40:21 UTC 2004

We are currently running NIS/NFS to handle central authentication
amongst our servers. All the server admins have accounts that are
automatically shared between the servers.

For a number of reasons, including security, I'm looking to replace
this with an LDAP/Kerberos solution, most likely, Mac OS X. Has anyone
implemented LDAP/Kerberos as a replacement for NIS? What are your
opinions? Are there any drawbacks? Kerberos is a lot of buzzwords, and
I want to make sure that it actually works as promised in the real
world.

This would run across about 20 RHEL3 machines.

Norman

Norman Elton
College of William & Mary
757-221-7790