temporarily disabling GUI login

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri May 28 03:41:51 UTC 2004

On May 24, 2004 12:44 pm, Paul Greene wrote:
> Great! Thanks to both you and Stephen Kuhn.
>
> PG
>
> Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> > From: "Paul Greene" <techlists at comcast.net>
> >
> >>Doing a CTRL-ALT-backspace to shut down X windows just drops me back
> >>into another GUI window. I haven't been able to figure out how to
> >>temporarily disable a GUI login. I'm sure it's fairly easy, but can't
> >>figure out how to do it.
> >
> > edit /etc/inittab and change:
> >
> > id:5:initdefault:

> > id:3:initdefault:
> >
> > then reboot.
> >
> > Ben

Paul,
You've probably finished this task, but for the record, instead of editing the
/etc/inittab script, you could either use a different screen (as Michael
suggested) or else just change to runlevel 3  and when finished change back
to runlevel 5 to get a gui login. Note that when you change to runlevel 3,
you'll be immediately logged out of the gui, so save any work first (that is
why the screen suggestion is nice).

So, in a term window in the gui issue "telinit 3"
Then do whatever you need,
Then "telinit 5" to get back to the gui login.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce