modem question

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri May 28 03:48:16 UTC 2004

hanfamily at earthlink.net wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>pppd does not dial, it uses a dialler or chat script to establish the
>>connection, then takes over after the modems are connected and you have
>>been authenticated, or if pppd is handling the authentication, it will
>>take over after the dial-up connection has been established.
>>
>>So when pppd says the connect script failed, it means just that.
>>Whatever process is used to dial your ISP is failing with that modem.
>>I'm thinking it's simply an initialization string command one modem
>>accepts and the other doesn't.
>>
>>I need to see the connect script/chat script/dialler logs before I can
>>see why.
>>
>>Please find out what mechanism you are dialling with first.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Ed.
>>

> it uses this chat-ppp0 script
>
> 'ABORT' 'BUSY'
> 'ABORT' 'ERROR'
> 'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
> 'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
> 'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
> 'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
> '' 'ATZ'
> 'OK' 'ATDT7422020'
> 'CONNECT' ''

Great - I'm not sure how to log that myself, but an example I found on
the net looks like this:

'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'ERROR'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
'' 'ATZ'
'OK' 'ATDT426-2468'
'CONNECT'

The only difference I see is that the 'CONNECT' is not supposed to have
anything after it, in fact taken directly from that same page:

"Here is the real Fine Print....   Make sure that there is no ''
(double single apostrophes) in the last line after 'CONNECTION'.  There
must be NOTHING after the word 'CONNECTION'.  If you use linuxconf or
control panel, these quotes will be automatically added."

Want to try taking out the extra stuff on the connect line and let me know?

Regards,
Ed.