How I can send a Packet to every Body on Internet

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Mon Nov 1 13:37:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 03:55:22PM +0200, Crucificator wrote:
> > Of what interest this might be to you? Probing for holes? Writing a very
> > fast spreading virus? You chose the wrong approach... :)
>
> I've tried, but I can think of absolutely no reason why anybody would
> EVER need to communicate with everybody on the Internet.  Never, ever.
> Not that any attempt to reach everybody would be successful anyway since
> a large majority of connected people are behind some sort of firewall
> and a significantly larger percentage of people won't speak the same
> language as the prober.

Ah, Ed, you obviously didn't try hard enough!  What if a massive asteroid
was heading towards earth, and we needed to let all of the Internet
junkies know that they only had an hour to live?

What if the Xeno-Barbarians from the Crab Nebula arrived and were landing
somewhere on Earth?  Wouldn't everybody on the Internet need to know, and
immediately?

We *obviously* need to expand the ICMP packet types...

Ben