Mouse upgrade on RH7.3

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Nov 2 15:57:59 UTC 2004

Brian McGrew wrote:
> Kernel 2.4.20
> Original Mouse: Dell 2-Button PS/2 Mechanical (No Scroll)
> New Mouse: Dell 2-Button USB Optical w/Scroll

Just curious...isn't the "Scroll" a wheel...and if so isn't the wheel
also a 3rd button?

> Any idea how to make this new mouse work?  Someone at work told me to
> replace "PS/2" with "IMPS/2" in /etc/X11/XF86Confg-4 but that doesn't
> work; when I do that, the mouse looses it's mind and just jumps around.
>
> Any help is appreciated!

If memory serves me....

Do you have:

         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

as one of the lines in your XF86Confg-4 for the mouse?

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy"