SATA RAID controller recommendations

Chris redhat-list at dotcomdesigners.com
Sat Nov 6 02:10:54 UTC 2004

Looking for recommendations for a decent hardware SATA RAID 0/1 controller,
that is well supported by Red Hat Linux - specifically Fedora Core 1 and up.
Ideally out of the box (stock Fedora CDs), or with a driver disk from the
manufacturer - without having to manually compile drivers, etc.  This is
required for a large rollout of systems that will all have Serial ATA RAID-1
configuration, and need straightforward setup.

I've used 3Ware Escalade 8006-2LP and it works fine so that is one option,
but looking at alternatives.  I don't like the newer 3ware cards because
they do not have built-in support in Red Hat and require too much manual
work for this type of project.  Does Adaptec make any cards that are
supported by FC1 and up, out of the box?  Last time I checked I heard bad
stories about no drivers for any recent Linux versions, just old RH 7.3.

Thank you,

Chris