RHEL 2.1 compatability question.

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Tue Nov 9 18:19:01 UTC 2004

First, I have a new Dell 2650 that came with the same RHEL 2.1
installed...in spite of the order indicating RHEL 3.0.  Fortunately, I had a
set of 3.0 disks in hand and reloaded the OS from scratch.  I could have
downloaded and created the ISO CDs from RHN.  Once you register your system
with RHN, you have access and can upgrade to the current version of the OS,
by default.  I have had no errors since doing this and have been able to
update and maintain my system without concern.  Also...in case you were
wondering, it does reboot and operate without a head/keyboard/mouse with
only a small wimper of complaint.  The Dell site doesn't really say or
support such a config for their systems, but it works.  You can
update/download any 3rd party software that you want, but RH only supports
that which they provide.  You will need to use the "other" sources for
questions and problems.

Second, there is NO invalidation of the service agreement with Dell.  Not
that you'd get much OS help from them anyway.  Best to order without
software and buy direct from RH.  Gets rid of the middleman.  Besides, how
does loading RH9 not invalidate your service agreement and RHEL3.0 does?

Third, Oracle sales reps demonstrate their latest toys on RHEL 3.0.  I just
sat through a major dog & pony show where RH was everywhere.

Finally, if you go with older versions of software, they become inherently
unstable because of the lack of support.  Unless there is a good business
case to stick with 2.1 or even older 9, then RHEL 3.0 which has been out for
better than a year, going on 2, is both stable and supported.

Patti