installing rpm files in another directory

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Nov 12 16:07:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 04:06:33PM +0100, Padiyath Sreekumaran wrote:
>   I would like to install an RPM file from my username
>   (not root) in a pre-defined directory. How can I do this?

If it's a binary RPM, then you can't.  RPM requires write access to the
rpm database which a non-root user does not have.

For source RPMs, look at the rpmbuild-nonroot-1.0.tar.gz package from
Mike Harris.  You can type that file name in google and it will find it
for you.  It includes a README that you really should read.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org