booting up/installing linux...

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 12:36:43 UTC 2004

steve.. thanks for the reply...

and yeah.. i got the humour... and i had looked through some of the PXE
links/info. wasn't really sure if this is really what i need.

my concern is that what ever solution i use be completely secure... and to
be honest, i'm not sure how PXE implements a secure process. a link that i
saw, seemed to indicate that a board that supports PXE will accept (at
boot/install time) a given sequence of certain chars, that are directed
towards the server. these chars could then apparently be used to start the
boot process/load the OS into the box... i'll need to do further research,
but this doesn't appear to be secure..

i was assuming that there needs to be a way of configuring the box, to only
allow the OS to be installed from a certain IP/range of IP addresses.

thanks

-bruce