booting up/installing linux...

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Nov 15 17:31:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 05:03:07AM -0800, bruce wrote:
> When i turn the vanilla box on, I will have had to configure the motherboard
> to be at a certain IP/Port address via the motherboard BIOS, correct?

No - that's not correct.  A system motherboard has no knowledge of
TCP/IP at all.  Your Ethernet controller has a MAC address on it.
To start a PXE boot, you search for DHCP servers, tell the DHCP server
your MAC address (which is supposed to be unique in the world), and then
the DHCP server will assign you an IP address.

>  Is
> there a way to configure the motherboard to only receive
> install/boot/startup information from a given IP/IP address range?

You have to have control over your own DCHP servers.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org