unset global editor symlink

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Nov 19 01:37:25 UTC 2004

On November 18, 2004 06:13 am, Bob Metelsky wrote:
> Yes, I think you're right on that, that is - there isnt an actual vi
> on the system. However I was sure there was vi *before* I added the
> addittional editors.
>
> here is my output
> [root at RH1 root]# rpm -qf on /bin/vi
> error: file on: No such file or directory
> vim-minimal-6.2.98-1
>
> [root at RH1 root]# ls -l /bin/vi*
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       465644 Sep 16  2003 /bin/vi
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            2 Nov 11 22:29 /bin/view -> vi
>
> [root at RH1 root]# rpm  -qi /usr/bin/vim
> package /usr/bin/vim is not installed
>
> Hah! because I've uninstalled it!

<...snip>

Bob,
it looks like your getting bad info. Read 'man rpm' and look at what the
swithches do.
You should be using:

rpm -qf /path/to/file   #to get the rpm that provided the file

rpm -qi packagename   #(no .rpm) to get a description of the package

rpm -ql packagename   #(no .rpm) to see all the files the rpm installs

...so of it makes sence that "rpm -qf on /bin/vi" errors, first, the 'on'
should not be there.
and "rpm  -qi /usr/bin/vim" is expecting a package name, not a regular file.

When I stated "...after doing rpm -qf on /bin/vi" I was not provding the
syntax, just saying what I did.

hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce