SSH login for normal users using authorized keys

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Mon Nov 22 18:49:27 UTC 2004

Mike Burger wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Jithesh wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I was able to create successful login for the root account from a remote
>>client with the help of the public key and the authorized key. But when
>>I tried to do it for a normal account it still asks for the password.
>>
>>Here is what I have done
>>1. Generated the public key in the client machine.
>>2. Copied the same into the server's normal user account's
>>~/.ssh/authorized_keys
>>3. Changed the permission to read only for the file authorized_keys
>>
>>I did the same thing for the root account and it worked but not or other
>>users.
>

> This may not directly answer your question, but wouldn't it be a more
> prudent move to have the users log into the remote system, and either su
> to root, or use sudo to run root level commands?  Using sudo, you can A)
> log who ran what and B) not have to give out the root password.

I think the question is not how to run commands as root, but how to
setup key files for ssh in the .ssh directory so his users can login
without having to type anything.  I really don't have the answer right
now as I have used documentation everytime I did this.  I have done this
for sourceforge accounts before.  Maybe the sourceforge documentation
could help you.  Go to www.sourceforge.net and read the section about
developer access to a project and setting up ssh access with key files.

Best I can do for you.

Wade