Finding the external IP on a DSL router?

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Wed Nov 24 03:05:54 UTC 2004

Allen:

	Assuming the router is something provided from the phone company,
you could do one of 2 things.  If it's recent enough, it may have the
ability to login to a Dynamic DNS server and update itself, so that some
name you give it could always resolve.  If that's not possible, turn NAT off
that DSL router and purchase one to put between it.  Almost all of them do
this now.

	From the inside, you can check sites like www.whatismyip.com to see
what your current public IP number is.  There are also free clients you can
install on Linux that will do the same sort of things as the router client,
and keep a dynamic DNS service up to date.

Scully