How about linux support for AMD64 K8?

Yin Ming yinming at mdc-ds.com
Mon Nov 1 01:05:09 UTC 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:31:40 -0700 (PDT)
alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
[snip]
> > So how about the supporting from linux world? I heard some OS had have a
> > 64bit core. When will linux support 64bit overally? Will AMD64 K8 work
> > fine in the feature?
>
> I am using Fedora Core 3 test 2 on an HP zv5000z AMD64 laptop right now.
>
> It is not perfect.  If you have devices that will only work through 32 bit
> wrapper code, you will not like it.  (Broadcom network cards and the ndis
> hack come to mind.)  You wind up having 32 bit and 64 bit libraries in
> some places.  Some things don't compile for 64 bit either.
>
> It is fast and it is cool and you can't beat it for the price.
>
> I guess it all depends on what you need to do.
Ah, just afraid of that, in few years, all the softwares are updating to
64bits, and all the 32bits CPU and devices have to be dropped away. But,
as you said, right now, only the CPU is 64bits, and other devices are
still 32 bits. I think it's 64bit CPU plugged in a 32bits system, in
both hardware and software.