SATA Raid 5 recommendation?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Mon Nov 1 19:45:57 UTC 2004

All,

I'm currently planning to put together a MythTV Personal Video Recorder
(PVR) box using an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ box that I have at home.

I would like to have enough HD space so that I can store more than just a
few hours of TV shows (so that when we go on vacation, we won't miss
anything).  I've been thinking of putting in an SATA RAID 5.  The
motherboard I have doesn't support SATA, so I was thinking of buying a
Promise RAID 5 SATA controller.

1) Are the Promise RAID 5 SATA controller's well supported under Redhat?

2) Has anybody had good/bad experiences with them or any other brand?

I'm planning on putting 4 - 200Gb SATA drives on it, and want something
that's going to have decent performance.

Thanks!

Ben