SATA Raid 5 recommendation?

Paul Crossman pcrossma at orange.us
Mon Nov 1 20:45:35 UTC 2004

WOW, that's a lot of TV!!!  4x200GB @ RAID5 = 600GB.

I've been talking with a local system integrator about doing SATA Raid 5
with Linux (Red Hat Enterprise to be specific), and they are not
recommending the promise controllers for Linux.

They are recommending the 3ware 4 or 8 drive controller for my specific
needs.

I've been reading reviews online about SATA drives and controllers, and
I would tend to agree with the Systems Integrator.

Check out www.techrepublic.com.  There have been a couple of good items
posted in the past week on SATA technology in general.

Paul C.

Recorder
> (PVR) box using an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ box that I have at home.
>
> I would like to have enough HD space so that I can store more than
just a
> few hours of TV shows (so that when we go on vacation, we won't miss
> anything).  I've been thinking of putting in an SATA RAID 5.  The
> motherboard I have doesn't support SATA, so I was thinking of buying a
> Promise RAID 5 SATA controller.
>
> 1) Are the Promise RAID 5 SATA controller's well supported under
Redhat?