linux kernel - can you rip it apart and put it back together!!

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue Nov 2 13:26:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, bruce wrote:

> hi...
>
> I'm looking to talk with someone/anyone, who really understands the linux
> kernel, and what it takes to rip it apart, and put it back together!!!
>
> Basically, I'd like to know what's involved with modifying the kernel,
> stripping out extraneous functions/adding functions to modify the kernel for
> my potential needs...
>
> I'm considering a stand alone personal video recorder type of device,
> combined with some additional functionality, and i'd like the system to be
> linux based. And although I can initially function with a complete linux OS,
> I will ultimately want to get to a point where I've
> reduced/removed/simplified the OS as much as possible to only provide the
> functionality that I need.
>
> So.. If you have skills, or if you know where I can turn to get more
> insight/information, I'd appreciate the pointers!

You might check out KnoppMyth:  http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

They've pretty much done that, taken a knoppix distro and turned it into a
MythTV (the linux PVR software) deal.  I'm sure the author could help
you...

Ben