SCSI hotpluggable problems

Jason Gray jgray at bardelanimation.com
Thu Nov 4 01:00:18 UTC 2004

Hello...

I've recently installed a iSCSI card from adaptec (asa7211c) and
everything works great except when I add new volumes to the system.
Each volume that is exposed on our iSCSI portal is presented to the
iSCSI initiator (Server) as a SCSI device (i.e. /dev/sda).  However, the
kernel needs to be rebooted everytime I add a new SCSI device.  I'm
trying to get the system to recongnize the new device without having to
reboot.  Is there a way of doing this?  I thought that the hotplug
script would work but it seems to only work with hosts (i.e. HBA).  Is
this a limitation of Linux?  It would be similar to adding a new SCSI
drive to a system using hotpluggable support.

Sys Configs:

Linux BDrender 2.4.26 #1 SMP Tue Oct 26 14:06:30 PDT 2004 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
Redhat 9.0

modules:

scsimon                11364   0
autofs                 13844   0  (autoclean) (unused)
e100                   59460   1
e1000                  76000   1
asa72xx                46884   9
keybdev                 3136   0  (unused)
mousedev                5688   0  (unused)
input                   6144   0  [keybdev mousedev]
ext3                   74468  11
jbd                    56688  11  [ext3]
raid1                  16012   4
lvm-mod                62784  27
aic7xxx               203216   0
sd_mod                 13356  18
scsi_mod              112952   4  [scsimon asa72xx aic7xxx sd_mod]

--
Jason Gray