Redhat 9 wired freeze and halt

Crucificator crucificator at home.ro
Thu Nov 4 10:50:18 UTC 2004

Rushan Sobar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i install the memtester and test with it everything seems to be ok

Your problem is not well defined (not by you but by the circumstances)
so I for one can't help you.
If I were in your shoes I would do this:

1. Disable anything that resembles Power Management on your computer
(long shot after you said that it happens after a week but worth trying)
2. Find out if there is a time pattern in these freezes. If there is
then 99.9% it should be a software thing.
3. You mentioned that every week you get this. Check out cron weekly. If
there is a job, execute it and see if you get the same effect.
4. put every service on verbose logging and put this line in
/etc/syslog.conf:
*.*     /dev/tty12.
Restart the machine completely (or restart every service that you
modified manualy, including syslog, if you prefer :) ) and comute to tty12
5. After the freeze you should see what was the last thing that happened
after the freeze.
6. Post the contents of the screen again to this list (if after a week
consider starting a new thread :) ) and then we hopefully will have much
more to go on

Regards,
Crucificator