The command "df -h" no show me the size of partition true!

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Nov 5 03:12:38 UTC 2004

On November 4, 2004 07:04 am, Alessandro Viana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I be the following problem: When I execute the command "df -h" the
> system show me the size from partition /home with 916MB Used. But, when
> I execute "du -h -s" the system show me only 231MB in use in /home.
> I am use Red Hat AS 2.1!
>
> See you the problem below: (Look /home!)
>
> [root at server1 root]# df -h
> /dev/sda2 2.0G 470M 1.4G 25% /
> /dev/sda1 152M 19M 125M 14% /boot
> /dev/sda10 19G 4.0G 13G 23% /data
> /dev/sda6 1.0G 916M 66M 94% /home
> /dev/sda9 4.9G 823M 3.8G 18% /opt
> none 2.0G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda7 1.0G 87M 895M 9% /tmp
> /dev/sda3 2.0G 946M 975M 50% /usr
> /dev/sda5 2.0G 665M 1.2G 35% /var
> tomate6:/backup/tomate1
> 166G 83G 75G 53% /backup
>
> [root at server1 root]# du -h -s /home/
> 231M /home
>
> Can somebody help me?
>
> Alessandro.

Hi,
try using -L with df.

example:
root at nebula temp# df -h
/dev/hde3              15G  7.1G  7.0G  51% /
/dev/hde1              99M  8.1M   86M   9% /boot
[output trimmed]

root at nebula temp# du -h -s /boot
4.1M    /boot
root at nebula temp# du -h -s -L /boot
8.2M    /boot

You may want to use "-B 512" instead of -h for accuracy, although there is
still some variance.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce