httpd conf on RH 3

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Nov 5 03:43:22 UTC 2004

On November 4, 2004 11:42 am, Edward Iglesias wrote:
> Greetings All,
>     I am having some difficulty configuring Apache on Red Hat Enterprise
> Server 3.  I can browse the /var/www/html directory just fine and have
> no problem using ssh to connect.   Thew problem comes when I add users
> to the system.  Their directories return 404s
>
>  I have tried adding
>
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
> AllowOverride All
> Options Indexes FollowSymlinks Includes ExecCGI
> XBitHack on
> order allow,deny
> allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> right after  Document Root to no effect.  I also added
>
> UserDir "public_html"
>
> I feel I am missing something pretty basic.  Any ideas?
>

> --
> Edward Iglesias

Hi,
this might sound silly, but since you get a 404, do the users have a
~/public_html directory?

Also, as Ryan stated, it could be a permission if the apache user cannot
execute dirs down into the public_html dir.

Another option is to create a web space, say /var/www/html/joeuser, then make
it owned by the user & group.
Next make a sym link:
ln -s /var/www/html/joeuser ~joe/public_html

The idea is that first, the user does not need world readable dir's in his
home, and also, the url does not need to have the ~username in it does not
give away user id's which helps with security.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce