File not found error

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Sat Nov 6 21:20:16 UTC 2004

J G wrote:
> Hi group.
>
> i am running into a strange behavior on my RHEL
> machine.
> after downloading, issuing a mv or rm command does not
> do anything.
> look at the pasted text below and let me know your
> suggestions.
>

> ****************************
> [rootlocal]# rpm -i MySql*
> error: File not found by glob: MySql*
> [root@ local]# rpm -i MySql-server-4.1.7-0.i386.rpm
> error: open of MySql-server-4.1.7-0.i386.rpm failed:
> No such file or directory
> ******************************

Er, are you sure you have typed the filename correctly - including the
correct case ? keep in mind, unix systems are case sensitive, that means
that MySQL-server != mysql-server != MySql-server

what do you get from the results of an "ls" in that directory ? (feel
free to remove the non-relevant lines)

Just keep in mind, when a system says "I cant find the file" it is not
usually lieing and computers, while they appear so - are not usually
vindictive, an error such as this probably means you typed the wrong
file in or are in the wrong directory.

--
Steve.