SATA RAID controller recommendations

Chris redhat-list at dotcomdesigners.com
Mon Nov 8 00:44:50 UTC 2004

Thank you for this recommendation - however, it would be nice to hear from
someone actually using RH (Fedora Core 1 and above, to be more exact, or
RHEL 3 - we can't use RH9 and below anymore).  From what I've heard over the
years, Promise controllers are ALWAYS mentioned as "the worst" controllers
as far as RH support, lack of drivers, poor performance, etc.  I don't have
any first hand experience with them so I'm just going by the online forums,
various reviews and lists like this one.  I've used 3Ware Escalade cards and
they are great.  I'm a little afraid of Adaptec lately, since it seems they
do not support anything newer than RH 7.3 and are stuck on old driver
releases.  But if anyone out there has Adaptec SATA RAID 0/1 controller and
it works out of the box on RH FC1 and 2, and RHEL 3, I'd love to hear from
you.

Thanks,

Chris