The command "df -h" no show me the size of partition true!

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Nov 8 13:44:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:04:26 -0200, Alessandro Viana wrote:

> I be the following problem: When I execute the command "df -h" the
> system show me the size from partition /home with 916MB Used. But, when
> I execute "du -h -s" the system show me only 231MB in use in /home.
> I am use Red Hat AS 2.1!
>
> See you the problem below: (Look /home!)
>
> [root at server1 root]# df -h
> /dev/sda2 2.0G 470M 1.4G 25% /
> /dev/sda1 152M 19M 125M 14% /boot
> /dev/sda10 19G 4.0G 13G 23% /data
> /dev/sda6 1.0G 916M 66M 94% /home
> /dev/sda9 4.9G 823M 3.8G 18% /opt
> none 2.0G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda7 1.0G 87M 895M 9% /tmp
> /dev/sda3 2.0G 946M 975M 50% /usr
> /dev/sda5 2.0G 665M 1.2G 35% /var
> tomate6:/backup/tomate1
> 166G 83G 75G 53% /backup
>
> [root at server1 root]# du -h -s /home/
> 231M /home
>
> Can somebody help me?

Well, does 231M look right? Or are you missing data?
What have you done so far to trouble-shoot the problem?
Try unmounting /home, then e2fsck it. Add options -c -f.
Look at the partition with dumpe2fs and compare with values
returned by 'df', also try df -i to examine inode usage.
As a last resort, backup the partition, and re-mke2fs it
to see what that will result in.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.9-1.2_FC2
loadavg: 0.08 0.12 0.07