RHEL 2.1 compatability question.

Shaun T. Erickson ste at smxy.org
Tue Nov 9 15:35:50 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:43:41AM -0500, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>

>>This system is going to be my primary computing environment server, and
>>no one will log into it. It won't run anything esoteric. I should think
>>that I could at least download and compile my own versions of things, to
>>provide services such as dhcp, dns, samba shares, mail, etc., yes?
>>

>For all this, you can do the job with RHEL 2.1.  However, if you can get
>a good solid install of RHEL3 done, you'll be set for 5 years with
>continuing support.

That would be quite nice. Another poster mentions this link:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/21features

where I read:

"[C]ustomers who purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux may download either
version 2.1 and/or version 3, depending on their requirements. Note that
all Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions include the right to upgrade
to new versions at no additional cost."

So, the only impediment to my upgrading seems to be 1) whether or not
Dell will have a hissy fit, and 2) if there are any hardware
compatibility issues.

>Another poster said you couldn't install RHEL 3 on your hardware.  I'm
>not familiar with your hardware, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't
>make it work in a supported manner.  Dell has been pretty good with
>their Linux support and one of their techies posts here regularly.

I guess that's the burning question, then.

    -ste