MySQL error

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Wed Nov 10 05:09:15 UTC 2004

Please see the botom post.

On November 9, 2004 02:35 pm, J G wrote:
> Hi Pete
>
> here are my findings per your suggestion:
>
> -when you changed "permissions' on /var/lib/mysql  to be owned by
> mysql, did
> you also ensure the dir is writeable by mysql? Isn't the group 'mysql'
> as not
> 'daemon'?
> reply:  I just changed it to 777 to be sure, and started ./bin/mysqld_safe
> &  and still got the error.
>
> -is there anything in /var/log/mysqld.log or /var/log/messages ?
> reply: mysqld.log does not exist and there is nothing in dmesg. (weird)
>
> -make sure  /var/log/mysqld.log is writeable by the mysql user
> (probably
> mysql)
> reply: there is no such log either...:)
>
> -that seems like strange place for a pid file, they usually go in
> /var/run
> reply: there is no pid file located in var/run/
>
> there is however, a "server.err" file that is generated under
> /var/lib/mysql. it states that port 3306 is already in use and mysql cannot
> be started. so maybe I will start with that one and go from there..
>
> thanks
>

> Pete Nesbitt <pete at linux1.ca> wrote:
>
> On November 8, 2004 04:50 pm, J G wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just installed Mysql binaries.
> >
> > When i try to start Mysql using the mysql_safe
> > command, i get the message:
> >
> > [root at palrhsrv /]# /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &
> > [1] 18547
> > [root at palrhsrv /]# Starting mysqld daemon with
> > databases from /var/lib/mysql
> > STOPPING server from pid file
> > /var/lib/mysql/palrhsrv.pid
> > 041108 16:44:48 mysqld ended
> >

> > [1]+ Done /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
> >
> > ************************************
> >
> > then, when I start the command:
> >
> > [root at palrhsrv bin]# ./mysqladmin create testDB
> > ./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> > error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through
> > socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
> > Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
> > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
> >

> > I looked under the var/lib/mysql and obviously the
> > mysql.sock does not exist.
> >
> > I changed permissions under /var/lib/mysql to chown -R
> > mysql and chrgp to daemon.
> > Still getting the same errors.
> >
> > any help?
> >
> > thanks

<snip>

HI,
what does your /etc/my.cnf file show. If you don't have that, look in
/usr/local/etc

Just curious, why didn't you just install the rpm?

What version of rh & mysql?

Did you follow all the steps for the binary install? (they show about a dozen
steps for a generic unix-like install)
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce